To some people, the thought of eating beets isn’t the most appealing vegetable to offer up. Many people write off cooking with beetroots because of their capacity to stain surfaces and the difficulty to pair them with other foods. Beets provide a unique earthy flavor whose accents compliment other herbs and spices that many wouldn’t think to combine. Beets work wonders for irregular digestive flows due to the copious amounts of fiber and healthy sugars that are found naturally within. Beets are known to help lower blood pressure, combat inflammation, detoxify blood, and increase body stamina; everybody wants these things. This recipe is simple.
- Half a dozen beets (golden, white, red)
- Sea Salt
- Orange zest (thin)
- Preheat the oven to 375֯
- Wash the beets in cold water, keep the beets unpeeled but remove any excess root hairs, stems, and leaves. Keeping the skin on the beets for cooking will help contain the flavor and nutrients
- Place beets in a deep oven-safe pan, fill the pan with water to cover ¼ of the beets
- Peel the orange zest from the skin of an orange and place underneath, within, and on top of the beets
- Add thyme and peppercorn to your liking. The more of this that you add, the more flavor to the dish.
- Add a pinch of seas salt
- Cover dish with aluminum foil
- Place in oven for 30-40 minutes, until a knife or skewer can penetrate through the inside with ease
- After removing beets, peel the skin off and enjoy!